So, I haven’t done a Memory Monday in a very long time. I haven’t actually blogged in a long time. I guess being pregnant keeps you just a busy as the actual baby. What have I been doing? Nesting. Nesting at work and nesting at home. My classroom is officially set up for my maternity leave. Lessons are planned, worksheets are copied, IEPs are written. Very little left to do and if it didn’t all get done…no one would know but me. Nesting at home…eh. Laundry is done. We had two BEAUTIFUL showers hosted by our families. So many generous gifts…so much to organize.
My mom had 6 babies in 5 pregnancies. I remember a little about my brother Ds pregnancy but I remember a LOT about her pregnancy with the twins. I don’t remember her being nearly as neurotic as I am. Maybe it was because these boys were her FIFTH and SIXTH children. Maybe it was because she had pretty much everything she ever needed so prepping wasn’t necessary. Maybe I just don’t remember as well as I thought. What I do remember from then and years after, were a lot of easy to prep, budget friendly meals that could be put together with a toddler attached to you legs while you fed a couple of babies. One of our favorites..one of my sister L’s favorites…was chicken and rice. Everything gets prepped and baked in one dish making it the ultimate meal of ease. A few pantry staples and a package of chicken and you had dinner! So…tonight, in honor of my mom and the upcoming arrival of Baby Boss…I give you Chicken and Rice!
Chicken and Rice
- 1 lb chicken trimmed and cut to preference–I cut into long strips (more or less as necessary)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (I use LF soups)
- 1 can cream of mushroom (sub with another chicken or even celery if allergies or preferences)
- 1 can white rice
- 2-3 cans water or broth
- onion soup packet
- Mix together the rice, water/broth, and soups. Top with chicken. Top that with soup packet.
- Bake tightly covered with foil for 90 minutes on 350* to 375*
- Bake last 10 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with fresh bread.